Francesca Mariani wins USC’s highest honor for outstanding teaching

Francesca Mariani in her lab (Photo by Chris Shinn)

When Francesca Mariani learned that she would receive USC’s highest honor for outstanding teaching, a 2023 Associates Award for Excellence in Teaching, it took her by surprise.

“Sometimes it feels mysterious as to why I should be getting this award,” said Mariani, an associate professor of stem cell biology and regenerative medicine, and integrative anatomical sciences at USC. On the other hand, she thinks, “Maybe it’s because I just do it naturally. I enjoy it, and I don’t even realize that I do it.”

Mariani serves as the faculty director of USC’s first-of-its-kind master’s program in stem cell biology and regenerative medicine. She teaches courses for master’s, PhD, and MD students at the Keck School of Medicine of USC, and mentors students and trainees from the high school to postdoctoral levels who pursue research opportunities in her lab. In addition, she serves as the co-director of the new USC CIRM COMPASS Scholars Program, which will prepare undergraduate students for careers in stem cell biology and regenerative medicine starting this summer.

To read more, visit https://stemcell.keck.usc.edu/francesca-mariani-wins-highest-usc-honor-for-teaching.